Comments Off on Chaucer Prologue 99-106
Name______________________ Class period_________
Chaucer’s The Canterbury Tales: The Prologue
- Canterbury is ____________ miles southeast of London.
- Why did people want to go to Canterbury?
- In what month does this piece of literature take place?
- What is “Zephyrus?”
- What is “Southwark?”
- What is “The Tabard?”
- What “reasonable” thing does the narrator propose do to at the bottom of page 99?
- What does the narrator concentrate on in his description of the Knight?
- The first character was a ___________________ _____________-___________.
- What relation was the Squire to the Knight?
- What three things are said about the Squire in line 82?
- What simile is used to describe the Squire in line 91?
- Why is he compared to a nightingale?
- To whom was the Yeoman a servant?
- What did the Yeoman wear in line 105?
- What weapon did he carry with him?
- How is his head and face described?
- What kind of medal did he wear?
- The narrator calls him a proper _______________.
- What was the Nun’s name?
- What does the statement in line 124 communicate to the reader about the Nun?
- Give three details about her table manners.
- What made the nun weep?
- What do lines 58-160 tell the reader about the Nun?
- Describe the Nun’s brooch.
- What four people traveled with her?
- What sport did the Monk love?
- What does it mean that the monk “took the modern world’s more spacious way?” Read lines 180-193 carefully to help you answer this question.
- How does Chaucer describe the Monk’s head?
- What do lines 226-227 tell us about Friar?
- What musical instrument did the Friar play?
- Put the information you find about the Friar in lines 248-251 in your own words.
- What was the Friar’s name?
- What are three details about the Merchant’s appearance in lines 280-283?
- In what was the Merchant an expert?